Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:18:26 -0500

David Kastrup wrote:

I have Google automatic alerts set for tracking various elements of software licensing. What I see is an increasingly negative reaction to the SFLC tactics and growing support for projects that are developed under truly "free" open source licenses that do not attempt to control other people's contributions to projects.

Sure you could name a few examples.

How about a tiny company called Google (Feb. 21, 2009 market
capitalization $109,000,000,000) and its userland Android contributions?

Here's a recipe for  the GPL's impending demise:

". . .
Thankfully there are those in the community who clearly get it,
like Greg Stein. Greg’s an Engineering Manager at Google and the
chairman of the Apache Software Foundation. In his recent
presentation at Linux World Tokyo he told the crowd, “Due to
pressure from developers, all software is moving towards permissive
licensing.” He calls this, oddly enough, “license pressure.”
Developers care about the licenses on the software they use and
incorporate into their projects, they like permissive licenses, and
they will increasingly demand permissive licenses.

I know Greg, and I consider him a friend. We don't always agree, but
this time he's 100% correct. Regardless of what the old guard
believes, their little circle is no longer in control. By design,
developers are the controlling species in the open source ecosystem,
and those licenses that can't adapt face extinction.

Few realize the depth of open source’s impact on the industry, and
even the leaders of the FSF may not yet feel the earth shifting
beneath their feet. But if GPL continues down its current path, will
it be around in 10 years? The FSF’s apparent lack of vision will
lead to the obvious outcome—the death of the GPL."

http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-whurley/whurley/the-death-of-a-software-license

Sincerely,
Rjack :)