Re: TomTom to contest Microsoft patent lawsuit ..

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: TomTom to contest Microsoft patent lawsuit ..
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:22:03 +0000

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 11:47:50AM +0000, Doug Mentohl wrote:
> amicus_curious wrote:
>
>> In Microsoft's case against Tom-Tom, there are a bunch of patents
>> that don't have anything to do with Linux involved as well as
>> the FAT filename patents  ..

Get real, the Linux kernel supports FAT.

> What effect on the case would it be if Tom-Tom eliminated all
> proprietary software and used a purely GPL solution?

What does the licensing mode of software have to do with software
patents? Both models are doomed as software patents rob the rights
holders from their value.

> Why isn't MS going after these third parties?

It's a message to anyone daring to use GNU/Linux instead of Microsoft.

> What effect on MSs entire patent portfolio would it be if MS lost this case?
>
> "If your company is being victimized by any entity seeking to assert its
> patent portfolio against Linux, please contact us so that we can aid you
> in your battle with these dark forces"

Hopefully they'll loose millions in the case, and then loose the
patents.

Rui

--

Today is Sweetmorn, the 61st day of Chaos in the YOLD 3175
+ So let's do it...?