Re: Zonker on Open Source licenses ..

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Zonker on Open Source licenses ..
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:42:28 +0100

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> Rjack <user@example.net> writes:

>> > Keep moving the goalposts away from real legal discussion concerning
>> > GPL enforceability Hyman.
>>
>> The GPL is certainly not enforceable.
>
> <chuckles>
>
> Does that mean that its "automatic termination" provision is not
> enforceable?
>
> (BTW, I agree.)

If the client does not claim use of the license, then this would not be
enforceable.  Yes.  You can't terminate a non-existing agreement.

> Here's the SFLC's lunatic theory on termination:
>
> http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/compliance-guide.html
>
> "Many redistributors overlook GPL’s termination provision (GPLv2 § 4 and
> GPLv3 § 8). Under v2, violators forfeit their rights to redistribute and
> modify the GPL’d software until those rights are explicitly reinstated
> by the copyright holder. In contrast, v3 allows violators to rapidly
> resolve some violations without consequence.
>
> If you have redistributed an application under GPLv2,

Read this again, it seems to have escaped your notice: "If you have
redistributed an application under GPLv2,"  In short, this is about the
case where the client _does_ claim making use of the license.  No
contradiction here between what I said and the SFLC.

--
David Kastrup