Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 17:40:30 -0500

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
Does that "GPL disk" contain source code corresponding to
http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp
including all future Verizon firmware upgrades as well?

I don't have the disk, but I imagine that it comes with
a website address from which one obtains future versions
of the source.

The Verizon firmware for the MI424WR is available at this web site.
http://www2.verizon.net/micro/actiontec/actiontec.asp";

That page contains link to the download URL, which is
<http://download.verizon.net/webdownload/firmware/upgrades/actiontec%20gateway/4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7-MI424WR.rmt>
"Actiontec Gateway". Additionally, this is a page for
firmware upgrades; Verizon isn't offering this software
to the public at large. Anyone who has the router already
has the disk and manual.

You have been one to say that Verzion is unaware of, ignores
or willfully violates the GPL, quoting the article where a
Verizon executive was unable to answer a GPL-related question.

Now we see a Verzion-branded router with a product manual
festooned with Verizon name and logo which has a section on
the GPL and comes with a GPL disk. What say you now?