Re: the GPL is a license not a contract ..

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: the GPL is a license not a contract ..
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:21:38 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>> In gnu.misc.discuss Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

>> > Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> > [...]

>> > Yeah, such as

>> Er, this one for example:

>>     http://www.jbb.de/urteil_lg_frankfurt_gpl.pdf

> Not really convincing example, Alan.

No, I suppose not.  An actual court, with an actual judge, ruling
explicitly that the GPL is valid - that it doesn't violate competition
law, or impose any unfair or unreasonable terms, exploring these aspects
in detail.  Then enforcing the against the defendant, requiring her to
pay all the plaintiff's costs.

But I wouldn't expect little details like that to convice you, Alex.

> -----
> Das Gericht hat rechtsfehlerhafter Weise die
                                    ^^ ????
> Pr?fung eines Versto?es von Art.81 EGV u. ?1 GWB
> unterlassen.
>
> Das Urteil ist diesbez?glich *offensichtlich* falsch, denn
> einerseits wird die GPL als AGB bezeichnet, andererseits
> aber wie ein Individualrechtsgesch?ft (read: Individualvertrag)
> behandelt, um den ?139 BGB anwenden zu k?nnen. So geht es nicht!
>
> ?139 ist nicht auf AGB anwendbar.
> Wenn Klauseln in AGB unwirksam sind, so gilt
> nicht ?139 BGB sondern ?306 BGB. Danach ist
> nicht, wie das Gericht irrt?mlich meint, der
> gesamte Lizenzvertrag nichtig, sondern der
> Vertrag bleibt wirksam und nur die
> nichtige Klausel wird durch gesetzliche
> Vorschriften ersetzt.
>
> Das Urteil k?nnte in der Berufung durchaus anders
> ausfallen. Die vielen Schreibfehler im Urteil
> sind ebenfalls bemerkenswert.
> -----

So what?  There are people like you and RJack who think they know the law
better than judges and lawyers pretty much everywhere.  Just because they
can write in German doesn't make them any more germaine.  Did you write
these little snippets, Alex?  They look like your style.

And the law of nature as to what happens when you flame somebody else's
spelling/grammar applies here too.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).