Re: [!NEWS] The GNUtards Must Be Crazy

From: AES
Subject: Re: [!NEWS] The GNUtards Must Be Crazy
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:34:29 -0700

> The above mentioned programs are all knock-offs of stolen ideas
> and projects of other folks:

The preceding assertion is utter nonsense, or utterly false, at least as
regards the following example:

> "LaTeX is based on Donald E. Knuth's TeX typesetting language or
> certain extensions. LaTeX was first developed in 1985 by Leslie
> Lamport..."
> http://www.latex-project.org/intro.html

I know TeX, and I know LaTeX, and something about the history of both.

LaTeX is indeed written in TeX, but it has ideas and concepts and
provides useful features that go far beyond TeX, and it makes a massive
contribution to the free software world.