TomTom fights Microsoft to protect GPL?

From: Doug Mentohl
Subject: TomTom fights Microsoft to protect GPL?
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 18:42:00 +0000

'any company doing a patent cross license without covering its downstream recipients, i.e. users, is a direct violation of [the GPL] ...'

'If Tom Tom or any other company cross licenses patents then by section 7 of GPLv2 (for the Linux kernel) they lose the rights to redistribute the kernel at all ..'

'All of these ... back-door, secret cross-licensing agreements ... have occurred without the knowledge of the Free Software Foundation (FSF) which originates the GPL2 license ..'

'if Microsoft loses because the Court rejects the concept of software patents a'la Bilski, then Microsoft is royally screwed ...'

http://blogs.computerworld.com/tomtom_fights_microsoft_to_protect_gpl_extraextra

'I know you want me to explain what the recent Bilski decision [PDF] means .. abstract ideas are not patentable' ...

http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20081103134949355