Re: Tom Tom and Microsofts Linux patent lock-down ..

From: amicus_curious
Subject: Re: Tom Tom and Microsofts Linux patent lock-down ..
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 19:26:23 -0400

"Hyman Rosen" <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote in message news:D_Uvl.85526$2O4.49350@newsfe03.iad...
Rjack wrote:
People are not supposed to believe their own eyes when they read the
> complaint and prayer for relief. Instead they are supposed to believe
> what some delusional GNU fan claims the SFLC *really* claims.

You have confused which side of this argument is delusional,
I'm afraid. The SFLC files suit as if the violating party has
simply chosen to infringe the copyrights of their clients.

Clumsy wording at best.  What does it mean?

The SFLC has filed suit against several of the very few companies that use Linux embedded in their products. The purpose of the open source license is to encourage more people to use Linux, but the actions of the SFLC make that a dicey proposition resulting in harassment and even some economic loss. Don't you see where that is a tad counterproductive? The SFLC is more fearsome of a Linux useage opponent than Microsoft.

If you would like to see what the SFLC *really* claims, it's easy
enough - read the web site of their clients:
    <http://www.busybox.net/license.html>
    Our enforcement efforts are aimed at bringing people into
    compliance with the BusyBox license.
    We don't want monetary awards, injunctions, or to generate bad
    PR for a company, unless that's the only way to get somebody that
    repeatedly ignores us to comply with the license on our code.

Are we supposed to believe the delusional rantings of GPL skeptics,
or the statements of the actual plaintiffs to the suit?

Well the court filings are a better source. Apparently the SFLC received nothing from Verizon and there was nothing in any settlement for the courts to monitor as per the usual practice. The SFLC tries to save face, but they just look silly to the world. Let us see what happens with Cisco.