Re: Red Hat on patent FUD

From: amicus_curious
Subject: Re: Red Hat on patent FUD
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 08:52:25 -0400

"ml2mst" <ml2mstREMOVE@CAPSgmail.com> wrote in message news:gq2fsa$apa$1@news.albasani.net...

I enjoyed Pieter's comments on BN, but I am pretty confused here. What
does it mean, is Redhat becoming another patent troll or am I
misinterpreting this?

What I recently learned from BN and especially Pieter Hintjens is that
we (Europeans) are in trouble. The software patent lobby (of course led
by the Evil empire of MICROS~666) is marching on and nobody pays
attention and that the FFII has become corrupt (pretty much like ISO).
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. Patents are simply a means to protect the ideas of innovators from wanton copycatting by others. Those who can think of new things to do need to be rewarded or else we will be faced with a steep decline in technological progress. How many copies of commercial applications do we really need?

I have signed a petition against the legalization of software patents in
Europe several times, but it is not working to well, is it?

SweatyB (the übermaroon) can scream all he wants.

Demonization is the mark of those who cannot think for themselves and resent those who can.