Re: Red Hat on patent FUD

From: ml2mst
Subject: Re: Red Hat on patent FUD
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:02:17 +0100

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> ____/ ml2mst on Saturday 21 March 2009 10:34 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> ____/ Doug Mentohl on Tuesday 17 March 2009 18:49 : \____

> http://www.press.redhat.com/2009/03/17/discouraging-software-patent-lawsuits/
>>> It's not really FUD.
>>>
>>> The former head of the FFII is sure to publicise information which suggests
>>> that Red Hat is not or was not serious about ending software patents. People
>>> should not let them off the hook so easily.
>> I enjoyed Pieter's comments on BN, but I am pretty confused here. What
>> does it mean, is Redhat becoming another patent troll or am I
>> misinterpreting this?
>
> No, but it just doesn't do enough to combat swpats. In some ways, it adds to
> the problem.

So they are not pulling another Microvell?

>> What I recently learned from BN and especially Pieter Hintjens is that
>> we (Europeans) are in trouble. The software patent lobby (of course led
>> by the Evil empire of MICROS~666) is marching on and nobody pays
>> attention and that the FFII has become corrupt (pretty much like ISO).
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Corrupt? No, it's just a lot less active.

So in fact they leave Free Software activists and those who advocate
Open Standards in the dust?

>> I have signed a petition against the legalization of software patents in
>> Europe several times, but it is not working to well, is it?
>
> Nokia/Symbian caused damage.

Isn't Nokia the current owner of QT? Quite promising <NOT> and on the
other hand we have Miguel the Shitcaza, hoping to screw up Gnome with
his MONO crap. *Great*

>> So what I am asking of you, my fellow Europeans is to stay allert and
>> fight software patents as much as we can.
>
>> It is a fact that we, Europeans copy most of Americans behavior,
>> unfortunately we are starting to copy their stupidity as well more and
>> more. Please don't let it happen.
>
> DMCA...

Ugh <chuckle>

>> NO SOFTWARE PATENTS IN EUROPE!
>
>> SweatyB (the übermaroon) can scream all he wants.

Thank you for the explanation. Me thinks the Free in Free Software is
going bye bye (1) this way. Not amused :-(

(1) copied from the film "The Matrix"

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin
|_|_|0| http://ml2mst.googlepages.com