Re: reinvent (for GPL) code u wrote for employer who owns it?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: reinvent (for GPL) code u wrote for employer who owns it?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 02:01:08 -0400

In article <49CC334B.F81551B2@web.de>,
 Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> [...]
> > But the program to be copied is NOT open source.  He wants to
> > reimplement it as open source, but he has to be sure that the new
> > version doesn't contain any vestiges of the original one that he wrote
> > as a work for hire.
>
> http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise27.html
>
> "One way to avoid infringement when writing a program that is similar to
> another program is through the use of a “clean room” procedure. This is
> what was done when companies cloned the BIOS of the IBM personal
> computer to produce compatible systems. In a clean room procedure, there
> are two separate teams working on the development of the new program.

Isn't this the exact same clean-room description I responded to earlier
in the thread?

Are you all suggesting that the programmer should hire a team, describe
his original program to them, and then have them write the new one?  So
the original programmer is effectively "team 1", and he hires a "team 2"
to rewrite the program for him?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA