Re: More FSF hypocrisy

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: More FSF hypocrisy
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:20:42 -0400

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
http://groklaw.net/pdf/IBM-881.pdf

Oh, goody! I love when your postings militate against your own thesis.
Read the footnote on page 24:
    "a fair and equitable result will be preferred over a harsh and
    unreasonable one," and "an interpretation that will produce an
    inequitable result will be adopted only when the contract so
    expressly and unequivocally so provides that there is no other
    reasonable interpretation to be given it."
    Peirce v. Peirce, 994 P.2d 193, 198 (Utah 2000)

This reflects what I've said before. No matter how GPL-skeptics twist
and spin, the plain language and clear intention of the GPL are going
to inform court decisions, and courts will enforce the conditions of
the GPL as written. We've already seen this with the CAFC with respect
to the Artistic License, and we've seen that Sam's lawyers have no qualms
about treating the GPL as valid. No bad-faith code grabber will prevail.