Re: Microsoft and TomTom settle

From: Sermo Malifer
Subject: Re: Microsoft and TomTom settle
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 13:24:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 09:02:43 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

> "Thufir Hawat" <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>> You say that the reason they settled cannot be determined, but it must
>>> be that TomTom had no confidence in winning and were concerned with
>>> minimizing their likely loss.
>>
>> Where's your evidence?  It's just guess work and interpretation.  The
>> lack of a statement from TomTom is telling.  No one has posted
>> firsthand knowledge about what TomTom was thinking.
>>
> Well, you could take some view that was more favorable,

Or you could just support your view.

> but you are just
> whistling past the graveyard, I think, telling yourself that maybe
> things are not as bleak as they appear.

No, he's just observing you have no evidence to support your assertions.

> Maybe TomTom was confident of
> winning their case but their lawyers had planned to go on an extended
> tour of the Holy Lands and wanted the whole thing to just go away before
> they left so that they were not going to be interrupted by having to
> work on the case. Maybe TomTom felt that things were going so bad for
> Microsoft that they owed them a leg up and so considered the settlement
> payments as a gift.

You seem to like to make up stories.  That's a lot easier than getting
the facts, isn't it?

> I think it was probably because they knew they were going to lose and it
> was cheaper to make a settlement and take a license.

A Wintroll thinks a Linux company couldn't possibly win against M$!
Somebody alert the news services!