Re: Microsoft and TomTom settle

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: Microsoft and TomTom settle
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 11:59:27 -0700

In article <e4hCl.1222$g%5.1118@newsfe23.iad>,
 Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote:

> Again, the settlement terms here wouldn't be evidence in a lawsuit not
> between tomcat and microsoft, which is what I was replying to -- a
> comment about the jury.

Yes, they could be evidence in another lawsuit, not between Microsoft
and TomTom.  If Microsoft sues someone else over the same, or even
similar, patents, that someone else would have a reasonable chance of
getting at the Microsoft/TomTom settlement terms (at least
partially--the settlement amount, for example) via a discovery request,
and would be able to introduce that information into trial as part of
their rebuttal to the damages part of Microsoft's case.

--
--Tim Smith