Re: The GPL means what you want it to mean

From: Rahul Dhesi
Subject: Re: The GPL means what you want it to mean
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 21:58:16 +0000 (UTC)

Rjack is trying to show that the GPL contains illegal terms.

>Indeed, a sine qua non of contract doctrine is a shared expectation
>that the parties will execute the contract in accord with the law....
>http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F3/143/143.F3d.1260.97-15781.html

This is a case about an unlicensed 15-year-old driver who killed
somebody and then wanted to get the benefit of somebody else's insurance
policy. Hard to find any similar facts here. Are you claiming, Rjack,
that somebody copying GPL software beyond the scope of the license is
like an unlicensed driver? If so, the case goes against you, because the
unlicensed driver lost the case.

On the other hand, if you intended this case to simply provide a general
statement of the law, then I fail to see how it proves that the GPL
contains any illegal terms.

Same problem with all the other references.

If the GPL contains any illegal terms, it should be easy to prove this.
Just find some statute or case law according to which GPL-like
permissions are illegal. If you can find none, then perhaps the GPL does
not contain illegal terms.
--
Rahul
http://rahul.rahul.net/