NYC LOCAL: Sunday 26 April 2009: Pirates Ashore in Brooklyn

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Sunday 26 April 2009: Pirates Ashore in Brooklyn
Date: 25 Apr 2009 13:12:51 -0400

  what="warning by Free Culture of pirates ashore in Brooklyn"
  edits="some odd characters removed, some spelling adjusted,
         some boilerplate removed">

 From: noel hidalgo <noel@noneck.org>
 To: Free Culture List <discuss@freeculture.org>
 Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:00:51 -0400
 Subject: [FC-discuss] In Brooklyn, on Sunday, Piratbyran (Pirate Bay) Artist
Talk + Guerilla Music Swap Party

 Sorry about the late notice, but I'm sure of few of you will be
 interested in this artist talk.

 noneck

 Begin forwarded message:

> [...]
 > collections.
 >
 > The Change You Want To See Gallery
 > http://www.thechangeyouwanttosee.org
 > Sunday, April 26, 7pm - 10pm (free!)
 > 84 Havemeyer Street, at Metropolitan Ave
 > Brooklyn NY 11211
 > L to Bedford; G to Metropolitan; J/M/Z to Marcy
 >
 > P.S. -- Don't forget Monday's event on Subversive Tech in Burma!
 >

 > ABOUT PIRATBYRAN
 >
 > We are a Swedish group that has been around for four years.
 > Piratbyran explores how file-sharing and other copying
 > technologies interact with creativity and change how people
 > relate to everyday culture. We analyze tendencies and cases and
 > discuss possible future scenarios and opportunities.
 > Internationally we are mostly known for starting up the The
 > Pirate Bay. By this and many other projects, campaigns,
 > performances, talks and media appearances, we have intervened
 > in the discussion known as "the file-sharing debate".
 >

 > FROM THE PIRATE BUS TOUR
 >
 > Copying can express itself in multiple ways, of which P2P
 > networks only make up a few. That was one message established
 > in Piratbyrans famous Walpurgis ritual of 2007.
 >
 > The S23M project is very clustered with The Pirate Bay, the
 > world's largest torrent tracker for file-sharing, On the bus
 > there is no internet connection, but there are 100 mix tape
 > cassettes, 23 spcial fanzines, a mystical barometer and a game
 > of go, just to name a few things. Thus the project evolves
 > themes from the Walpurgis ritual by transferring them from one
 > mountain to another, from spring to summer, from the melting of
 > winter to the flowering richness of summer. Eyeball the media!
 >
 > At the same time, Piratbyran sums up the five years that has
 > passed since the initiation of the clustering in 2003.
 > Finally, the bus trip is an experiment: what will happen when
 > an online-based community is enacted within a delimited
 > physical space, where participants must somehow spend over a
 > week together?
 >
 > The opening party on July 18th is also laborating with how the
 > the digital abundance can be interconnected with time and space
 > - more specifically how large subwoofers can be used for this
 > purpose. As a guest performer, Piratbyran has invited Jem Noble
 > from the Bristol- based Blackout Arts Collective. He is
 > presenting a sound sculpture, built by recycled loops, which he
 > calls "generative piracy" and DJ some bass-heavy
 > dubstep. Other DJs representing Piratbyran, including Nine
 > Inch Nils from the dubstep diaspora, and Brokep, more known to
 > the world as the populous of The Pirate Bay.  The S23M project
 > is financed mainly by a grant from the Manifesta
 > foundation. Piratbyran has added all their available money,
 > coming from t-shirt sales. The Swedish state's Arts Grants
 > Committee refused to contribute, as would otherwise be the case
 > when Swedish artists are invited to prestige biennals of this
 > kind. Seemingly, futurehawkers like Piratbyran are way too

 < ... />