Re: GPL traitor !

From: Chris Ahlstrom
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:14:16 -0400

After takin' a swig o' grog, David Kastrup belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> writes:
>
>> Seriously.  You're full of it, and you're wrong, Fuddie.  As usual, your
>> FUD does not fly.
>
> I don't think he is wrong here.  Even if you know the details, you can't
> tell what ratio of the slowness is attributable to inherent CDROM
> access, what ratio is attributable to bad paging algorithms acerbated by
> the CDROM (which would still have an impact when using hard disk), what
> is attributable to a suboptimal storage layout and what is pure OS
> creep.
>
> I am not exactly unversed with computers (having written my own
> bootstrap loaders and BIOSes and target compilers and whatnot).  And
> still I was quite unsure what difference to expect when installing
> Knoppix on hard disk as compared to running from CD.
>
> And yes, the impression "sluggish and basically not useful" can come
> from a live CD.  It is nice for a look of _what_ you can do, but it is
> hard to judge whether you would _want_ to do it in a reasonable
> workflow.

I respectfully disagree.  It's pretty easy to listen to the CD drive and
factor it out in your evaluation.  In any case, it is highly unlikely that
any user would not know about the issues of running from a CD -- and if
he/she complained about it verbally, someone would surely set them straight.

--
It is easy to find fault, if one has that disposition.  There was once a man
who, not being able to find any other fault with his coal, complained that