Re: GPL traitor !

From: chrisv
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 11:09:02 -0500

David Kastrup wrote:

> And?  There are live disks that install in 15 minutes on a good system.
> There are live disks that take 2 hours (take the TeXlive DVD).  There
> are differences in layout and effectiveness.

How oddball a situation are you willing to stretch-for to make your
alleged point?

> As I said: the CD exacerbates the situation.

Running off a CD is slow.

> If the result is worse than expected,

What might be "expected" by a newbie who has no experience in such
matters?  As soon I first heard the CD spin-up when I wanted to do
something, I would "expect" those kinds of delays when running off a CD.

You lose.

> it might point to the access patterns being worse than expected, and
> that may well reflect on the installed system performance.

Gibberish.  This is not that difficult a situation for the average
computer user to interpret.  You're just being ridiculous.

> If you don't get it, don't be sad.   At least you can sling mud competitively.

I see you can "sling mud" yourself.

>> So?  Is it not reasonable to assume that a PC operating system would
>> be "reasonably responsive" when installed on a modern PC?
>
> If you never have been exposed to Microsoft operating systems, probably.
> But since the market leader does not meet that expectation, many
> experienced computer users will not take it for granted.

Good joke, but in reality Windows isn't that bad in the responsiveness
department.

My point remains.  (Most) people ain't that dumb.