Re: GPL traitor !

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 18:34:53 +0200

chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> And?  There are live disks that install in 15 minutes on a good system.
>> There are live disks that take 2 hours (take the TeXlive DVD).  There
>> are differences in layout and effectiveness.
>
> How oddball a situation are you willing to stretch-for to make your
> alleged point?

That's not oddball.  That's real life.

>> As I said: the CD exacerbates the situation.
>
> Running off a CD is slow.

Sure, but how slow?  And does this slowness make deficiencies more
apparent that are there anyway?

>> If the result is worse than expected,
>
> What might be "expected" by a newbie who has no experience in such
> matters?  As soon I first heard the CD spin-up when I wanted to do
> something, I would "expect" those kinds of delays when running off a CD.

Delays are not either there or not.  Size matters.

> You lose.

You don't even understand the game.

>> it might point to the access patterns being worse than expected, and
>> that may well reflect on the installed system performance.
>
> Gibberish.  This is not that difficult a situation for the average
> computer user to interpret.  You're just being ridiculous.
>
>> If you don't get it, don't be sad.

It is obvious that this is the main point.  I've been working with
various kinds of storage media since the middle of the seventies, and
dozens of operating systems.

> My point remains.  (Most) people ain't that dumb.

It is not a sign of intelligence if you don't try to make use of
available information to the best of your capacity.  If you don't, there
is little enough point in starting the disk in the first place.

--
David Kastrup