Re: GPL traitor !

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 17:58:18 -0700

In article <titlv4t67t1qefhlqv2jj991s437964ert@4ax.com>,
 chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Do you really think that "ratios of slowness" need to be calculated?
> Sheesh, man, you're running off a CD.  You can hear it and see the
> results.  You just throw-out the results of the "speed test" because
> you're running off a freaking CDROM.  NO ONE is going to assume or
> expect that the speed is _at all_ representative of what it's like
> when it's running off HD.
>
> Jeezez.  Most people aren't THAT stupid, much less 99% of them.
>
> >> I am not exactly unversed with computers (having written my own
> >> bootstrap loaders and BIOSes and target compilers and whatnot).  And
> >> still I was quite unsure what difference to expect when installing
> >> Knoppix on hard disk as compared to running from CD.
>
> So?  Is it not reasonable to assume that a PC operating system would
> be "reasonably responsive" when installed on a modern PC?
>
> >> And yes, the impression "sluggish and basically not useful" can come
> >> from a live CD.
>
> For the exceptionally dull-witted, maybe.  Most would recognize that
> it's a limited trial, amazing in that it works at all!

I can't hear the CD drive on my PC.  My PC is under my desk, and I
usually have a TV or radio on when I'm doing stuff on the PC.

Furthermore, the average person only runs kind of thing on a PC directly
from a CD--the installer program that comes with the Windows programs he
has purchased.  A decently constructed installation CD will mostly just
be copying stuff off the CD, not seeking a lot, and should be laid out
so that goes fast.  Hence, installation programs won't give the average
person a good opportunity to notice the CDs are slow at seeking.

Finally, a decent fraction of consumers will have experience with
running console games of CDs.  They get decent performance there.

There's simply nothing in their experience to indicate that a live CD
should be slow, and there are things in their experience to indicate
that it could be fast.

--
--Tim Smith