Re: GPL traitor !

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 16:22:08 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

>>> Like 99 percent of people who through some unfortunate process come in
>>> contact with it.

>> I wouldn't know, since I don't know any such people.  I know lots of
>> people whose contact with the GPL is benign, rewarding and profitable.

> You might need to educate a few Gnome developers then you are claiming
> they need to move to some third world shit hole to live on their OSS
> "donations".

Please don't project your opinions onto me with insulting words like
"claiming".  I have expressed no opinion on "third world shit holes", and
don't intend to.  I have no need whatsoever to educate Gnome developers.

As I said, I don't know anybody whose contact with the GPL has been
through "some unfortunate process".

>> I can't really see where misfortune enters into any contact with the
>> GPL.  Stupidity, certainly, but hardly misfortune.

> Day in day out the GPL is turned inside out. It's easy to CLAIM it's
> easy but fact does not bond with your fiction.

Huh?  The GPL is perfectly plain and straightforward and means what it
says.  You don't even need to get a lawyer to explain it to you, though
you certainly should consult one if you're going to be redistributing
GPL'd software.

The only people who "find" it difficult to understand are those who wish
to violate it and FUDsters who wish to propagate the unfounded notion
that nasty unforseen things can happen to people using or modifying GPL'd
software.

And please lose that nasty "CLAIM" word.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).