Re: GPL traitor !

From: Doctor Smith
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 11:06:28 -0400

On Fri, 8 May 2009 08:37:48 +0000 (UTC), Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> Good Morning Dr. S.!
>
> In gnu.misc.discuss Doctor Smith <iaintgotnostinkinemail@ols.net> wrote:
>
>>> The only people who do *NOT* find the GPL difficult to understand are those
>>> thoat think they understand it when they really do not.
>
>> Just the fact that these GPL threads typically go on for many posts proves
>> how convoluted the GPL really is to some people.
>
> Not really.  The alleged convolution of the GPL is merely a hypothesis.
> Evidence against this hypothesis is that these long threads are pretty
> much restricted to special-purpose forums (such as this one).
>
> There are other equally (or more) convincing hypotheses, for example that
> the people driving these threads wish to foster an impression that the
> GPL is convoluted, difficult and risky; classic FUD.
>
>> It's no wonder corporations tend to run from it.
>
> If they actually do, which is not at all clear.  More likely,
> corporations avoid licensing their code under the GPL, those that do,
> because they don't want it to become free software.

I agree a  lot of it is misinformation but that's my point, the GPL is
clouded by confusion.

I suspect corporations, the suits not the programmers so much, are afraid
of the GPL because they assume that their proprietary technology might be
in danger of having to be shared if inter mingled with GPL code.