Re: GPL traitor !

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: GPL traitor !
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:35:24 -0400

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
Hyman Rosen wrote:
[...]
In Wallace v. FSF, the plaintiff claimed that the GPL covers collective
works as you suggest...
I disagree that Wallace's claim was about collective works as I suggest.
Try
http://sco.tuxrocks.com/Docs/Wallace_v_FSF/Wallace_v_FSF-12.pdf

Thank you. Quoting the complaint:
    3) The Linux operating system is an example of a collective work based
    in part upon software copyrighted by the F.S.F. and licensed under the
    GPL.

    4,5,6) The F.S.F. has licensed computer programs copyrighted by the F.S.F.
    under GPL terms that are included in derivative and collective works known
    as [SUSE Linux / Red Hat Linux / etc.]

So we see that Wallace is alleging and the FSF is denying not that a
particular linked program is a collective work such that the presence
of GPLed components within it requires that the whole be distributed
under the GPL, but that the assemblage of programs collected together
in what are known as Linux distributions form a collective work such
that all such programs must be distributed under the GPL if any of
them are. The FSF says that the presence of GPLed programs in such a
distribution represents the mere aggregation that the GPL allows, so
that there is no GPL restriction on shipping non-GPLed programs as
part of such a distribution.