Re: Fw: [FSF] FSF Settles Suit Against Cisco

From: Ciaran O'Riordan
Subject: Re: Fw: [FSF] FSF Settles Suit Against Cisco
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 21:03:07 +0100

Rjack <user@example.net> writes:
> The case was dismissed WITH PREJUDICE against the FSF.

Wait a minute.  Did the court dismiss it IN ALL CAPS!!!! Well that changes
things.

But seriously, "with prejudice" is a legal term with whatever range of
meanings in the USA.  I don't know all the range of meanings, and most/all
people on this list don't know all the range of meanings, but we see from
today's announcement that FSF was clearly in a very strong position.  So, as
nasty as "dismissed with prejudice" sounds, we now know that it's just a
legal term, it seems it's legal meaning is actually quite tame.

--
CiarĂ¡n O'Riordan, +32 487 64 17 54, http://ciaran.compsoc.com/

Software patents wiki: http://en.swpat.org/
End Software Patents:  http://www.EndSoftwarePatents.org/