Re: GPL traitor ! OT?: can my program say "GO RUN <some-fsf-program"?

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: GPL traitor ! OT?: can my program say "GO RUN <some-fsf-program"?
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 01:45:07 -0400

David Combs wrote:
Following what's left of this humongous thread, I add this question:

Suppose I have a non-free program, and instead of linking one way
or another or even directly running a fsf program, I type out:

"To do the required next step, please run the gnu program xyz.
 Here's how:

   xyz -foo -bletch 2386.2  "hello there" > xyz.out

Thanks!"

after which my program then reads in xyz.out and uses
those xyz-produced results.

How does THAT fly?

Copyright law involves copying. Ask yourself whether any protected
work is being copied in violation of the copyright holder's terms.
If there is no such copying, then copyright law does not prohibit
the action. Your case does not appear to involve any copying at all.