Re: USA amicus brief in CNN vs. CSC

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: USA amicus brief in CNN vs. CSC
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:52:27 -0400

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
Hyman Rosen wrote:
And now, SCOTUS has indeed decided not to grant cert.

"As we read the Framers' instruction, the Copyright Clause empowers
Congress to determine the intellectual property regimes that, overall,
in that body's judgment, will serve the ends of the Clause." Eldred v.
Ashcroft (537 U.S. 186).

How is that quote relevant? This is about the "remote DVR" case,
where Cablevision wants to keep people's recorded shows on their
servers instead of on DVRs in people's homes. The lower courts
decided this was OK, and the media companies appealed to SCOTUS,
which has now refused to accept their case. There hasn't been any
legislation addressing this particular issue, as far as I know.