Re: compile gnu in Windows

From: Keith Thompson
Subject: Re: compile gnu in Windows
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 12:15:48 -0700

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:
> JD <jdt_young@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Very sorry if I post my question in a wrong news group.
>
> No need to apologise.  Though this isn't really a good group to ask
> about anything intelligent, being used mainly for bickering by people
> who don't like the GPL and spam from a New York Linux group.
>
>> I recently downloaded "recode" from www.gnu.org.  I want to compile it
>> in MS Windows.  I tried to nmake but didn't find any .mak in the
>> download folder.  Can someone point me a direction to educate me how to
>> compile in Windows free software from www.gnu.org?  Any help is much
>> appreciated.
>
> I suggest you post in the newgroup comp.lang.c.  There will surely be
> people there who've managed to compile GNU software in MS-Windows.

I wouldn't, unless your question is actually about the C programming
language.  (comp.lang.c tends to be rather picky about topicality.)

Try one of the Windows groups, possibly
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32, or perhaps one of the microsoft.*
groups.

Or you might consider installing the Cygwin environment, which gives
you a Unix-like environment under Windows.  See www.cygwin.com for
more information.

Nokia