Re: Google to launch PC operating system

From: Tim Smith
Subject: Re: Google to launch PC operating system
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 21:18:37 -0700

In article <4a561002$0$7972$a729d347@news.telepac.pt>,
 Rui Maciel <rui.maciel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tim Smith wrote:
>
> > Which means the kernel will be GPL.
>
> The OS kernel is a major component of any operating system. Some
> people even defend that the kernel is the OS. So that must count for
> something.
>

> > They haven't said anything that I've
> > seen about the rest of the system other than it will be open source.
>
> Well, if they are putting together an operating system and they
> already stated that the kernel of their operating system will be
> GPLed, then what's missing? If they happen to put up a non-GPLed
> window manager does that mean that their OS ceasses to be based on
> GPLed code?

Take a look at their other current OS: Android. GPL for the kernel.
Apache license for most of the rest. That's open source, but one can
make a proprietary fork of it.

Google usually doesn't use GPL for code unless they have to. Hence, I
want to know why the original poster thinks Chrome OS will be GPL.

--
--Tim Smith