Re: Microsoft's Linux Kernel Code Drop Result of GPL Violation

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Microsoft's Linux Kernel Code Drop Result of GPL Violation
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 22:30:04 -0400

Rjack wrote:
the plaintiffs have admitteded defeat by filjng a voluntary dismissal

The plaintiffs dismissed their cases after the two sides
reached a settlement agreement.

without a settlement

No, with a settlement, as evidenced by the defendants all
properly complying with the GPL.

often WITH PREJUDICE

There is no reason to use scare capitals. Dismissing with
prejudice is a completely ordinary outcome of a settlement,
and I have in the past posted many such examples. It is
simply a prudent request from the defendants, so that the
plaintiffs cannot later come back and reopen the case.

The plaintiffs have *never* received any damages

You cannot know this, since such settlement details are
generally kept private. This is just something you wish
was true. What we do know, since it is public, is that
the defendants properly comply with the GPL.