Re: Licensing issues with a research project

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Licensing issues with a research project
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:37:56 +0200

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
>
>> Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Or what's the general approach to open-source projects using both GPL
>>> and possibly incompatible licenses?
>>
>> Ignore the allegedly "GPL incompatibility" nonsense.
>
> So that means that we are allowed to release the whole thing unter
> Eclipse Public License and having some GPL libs bundled is "somewhat
> ok"?  Some kind of a gentlemen agreement aka "Well, it's not quite
> compatible but since it is free in most regards, nobody will enforce
> each and every detail".

Ignore the "Alexander Terekhov" nonsense.  As long as you get every
single copyright holder to agree, you can make use of whatever gentlemen
agreement you want (but it might restrict people who are not in the
deal).  If not, you need to heed the conditions of every single license
on every piece of code.  Where you exceed the threshold of mere
aggregation of independent components, the licenses might place
restrictions on distribution of the resulting whole.

That is nothing peculiar to the GPL.

--
David Kastrup