Re: Licensing issues with a research project

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Licensing issues with a research project
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:27:20 +0200

>> > It's a graph library, and the library contains interfaces Graph,
>> > Vertex and Edge (and abstract base implementations thereof).  All
>> > the generated interfaces and classes derive from one of those base
>> > types.
>>
>> Then the owners of the copyrights in the Graph, Vertex and Edge
>> interfaces need to agree that generated code derived from their work
>> may be distributed under the terms of the BSD license (or they could
>> simply
>
> Hey Tassilo, to repeat, please bear in mind that OOP term "derive[d]
> from" doesn't equate to copyright term "derivative work".

Yes.  So the EPL code extends GPL code by deriving from it in OOP terms
has vanished, either because it's not physically modified (your reply),
or because we could disclaim copyright interests or switch to another
license on a per-project basis for the generated code (John's reply).

> Ignore the allegedly "GPL incompatibility" nonsense.

Well, still the EPL FAQ [1] says, that you cannot combine GPL with EPL
code in one module.  So the GPL license for our library itself is still
an issue.  We could switch to the Lesser GPL, and as far as I see, that
would solve the issue.

Bye,
Tassilo
[1] http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php#GPLCOMPATIBLE