Re: Computerworld.com/Infoworld.com: Does GPL still matter?

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: Re: Computerworld.com/Infoworld.com: Does GPL still matter?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:48:10 +0100

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 03:33:51PM +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9136467/Does_GPL_still_matter_
>
> "[ Editor's note: InfoWorld tried to interview Richard Stallman, who
> runs the Free Software Foundation that created and manages the GPL, on
> this issue, but he demanded control of what we published, so we
> declined. ]"

Well, ComputerWorld demands control of what they publish, so if Richard
Stallman wants to make sure they never "make" him say "open source" he
has to demand that (I've witnessed this kind of requests from him).

I read «(bla bla bla) opensource (bla bla bla) opensource» and I'm
pretty sure Richard would not want association with that.

Of course the InfoWorld article is just plain flamethrower all around.

Many Free Software coders are people who have certain employments, and
code as a hobby. The economic downturn has very likely prevented a lot
of this people from showing up, continue to code, etc... because they
were busy finding new jobs, stressing out over not finding them, and
so on.

Speaking for me, I'm the author of two GPLv3+ programs, one started last
year, the other this year. I'm sure there will be more, and I'm not a
very productive coder.

Rui