Re: US court says software is owned, not licensed

From: Robert Heller
Subject: Re: US court says software is owned, not licensed
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 09:51:08 -0500

At Sat, 10 Oct 2009 15:09:49 +0100 Nigel Feltham <nigel.feltham@btinternet.com>
wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>

> > Nigel Feltham wrote:
> > [...]
> >> The only permission you have to make any extra copies of busybox is that
> >> provided by the GPL in exchange for following it's rules which specify
> >> that source has to be provided.
> >
> > But that's pure license/contract breach claim, not copyright
> > infringement. Consider also
> >
> > http://www.citizen.org/litigation/forms/cases/CaseDetails.cfm?cID=437
>
> It's both - copying software without permission is a copyright infringement
> and the only thing that gives you permission to do any copying of GPL
> software that isn't provided as part of normal copyright law is the GPL
> licence. If you breach the terms of the license then you no longer have
> permission to distribute copies of the software (other than on media
> provided by the copyright holder) so are infringing copyright law as well.

I think that the point of the citizen.org case (eBay vender vs
Autodesk), is that if you have A copy in your possesion, you have the
right to dispose of that copy (eg selling it).  This is distint from
*making a copy* of the copy.  The only way this is a copyright
infringement would be if you also had *made a copy* of the software
(which would probably include the copy made when installing the
software).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
heller@deepsoft.com       -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/