Re: Psystar/Apple/First sale on Groklaw

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Psystar/Apple/First sale on Groklaw
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:16:15 -0400

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
To GNUtian Hyman Rosen: see comments below regarding the Blizzard case
that you've liked so much...

I would be thrilled if the Blizzard case were overturned.
I am very much in favor of people being able to reverse-
engineer protocols and do things that are unanticipated
by service providers, and to have those service providers
not be able to use the law to stop them. Overturning this
case will not adversely affect use of the GPL.

I myself have in this newsgroup proposed the scheme that
so worries Groklaw, having one party sell GPLed binaries
plus source to a second party, which then resells only
the binaries. I like it in the same spirit as the above -
reverse-engineering a protocol, this time that of the law,
to accomplish something against the will of the providers.

I also find it very unlikely that the scheme will be used
very much, if at all. Most GPL violations are by companies
who can't be bothered to comply, not ones who deliberately
don't want to comply.