Re: [News] Richard Stallman Protects MySQL from Oracle

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [News] Richard Stallman Protects MySQL from Oracle
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:39:37 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> [... Stallmanism ...]

>> > It is misleading to describe the users of free software, or the software
>> > users in general, as a ?market.?"

>> > <???>

>> > Care to share your views on that, Alan?

>> No.

> Why don't you make use of your freedom of speech other than not
> speaking?

Well, it's freedom of speech, which also includes the freedom not to
speak, as you have clearly noticed.

> What is the reason for No, Alan?

I've got things to do, a life to get on with, and a discussion about words,
in particular this context for the word "market" would be inane and vacuous.

> Please elaborate.

I'm sorry indeed about the plight of Sun and your friends there with an
uncertain future.  However, the political and philosophical parts of the
FSF websites have no direct responsibility for Sun's current predicament.
Their sole "blameworthiness" is that they have inspired free software which
is in competition with Sun's systems.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).