Re: Swiss govt agency declares Linux/OSS crapware "not a sufficientalter

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Swiss govt agency declares Linux/OSS crapware "not a sufficientalternative to Microsoft products"
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 22:30:33 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> wrote:

> Alan Oh Paragon of Guh-N? Linguistics Mackenzie wrote:

> [... amusing nonsense ...]

> Geistiges Eigentum in German is what "intellectual property" in English
> you silly.

What an amazing assertion!  Do you have any evidence to back that up?

"Geistig" does not mean "intellectual", except as a subsidiary meaning.
Its primary meaning is "spiritual" or "religious", or perhaps "mental".
As I said, "geistig" is cognate with "ghostly".

> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geistiges_Eigentum

> "Unter Geistigem Eigentum (auch intellektuelles Eigentum, engl.
> intellectual property) werden absolute Rechte an immateriellen G?tern
> verstanden.

Yes.  "Immateriellen Guetern" = "ghostly goods" or "immaterial goods" or
"goods lacking any substance".  It cannot be "intellectual property".

> Geistiges Eigentum wird daher auch als Immaterialgueterrecht
> bezeichnet.  Inhaber eines solchen Rechts ist z. B. der Anmelder eines
> Patents oder der Schoepfer eines urheberrechtlichen Werks. "

Seems likely.  But there's no "property" anywhere in all that.  There's
copyright, which is an abstract right, not anything of any material
substance.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).