Re: Embrace, Extend Extinguish

From: Rjack
Subject: Re: Embrace, Extend Extinguish
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:24:43 -0500

Hyman Rosen wrote:
The open-source world should be worried.

I'll start worrying when we see an actual example of "extinguish" when it comes to MS's support of open source or free software.

Due to legal antitrust concerns, Microsoft is always going to
allow about 20% of the total market to competitors. What
Microsoft is extinguishing is any hope of any new competitors
ever threating their 80% share of the market. The past fifteen
years have established this fact beyond immediate question. The
path of computer software history is littered with the bones of
organizations who challenged Microsoft. Richard Stallman and
"Free" software are unwitting dupes in this ongoing saga of
Microsoft dominance. Nothing -- I repeat nothing -- but a
proprietary software company will ever threaten Microsoft's iron
hand in the marketplace. Anti-capitalist open source is a
monopolist's software dream.

Dedicate even half of Linux's developer resources to hardware
drivers for FreeBSD and then sit back and watch some upstart
proprietary company give Microsoft sufficient real competition to
lower consumer prices. It's either that or mindlessly continue to
develop more anti-capitalist software while the status quo rolls
on for another decade.

Sincerely,
Rjack