Re: Embrace, Extend Extinguish

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Embrace, Extend Extinguish
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:21:18 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Rjack <user@example.net> wrote:

>> I'll start worrying when we see an actual example of  "extinguish"
>> when it comes to MS's support of open source or  free software.

> Due to legal antitrust concerns, Microsoft is always going to allow
> about 20% of the total market to competitors. What Microsoft is
> extinguishing is any hope of any new competitors ever threating their
> 80% share of the market.

A bit like IBM before them, you mean.

> The past fifteen years have established this fact beyond immediate
> question. The path of computer software history is littered with the
> bones of organizations who challenged Microsoft.  Richard Stallman and
> "Free" software are unwitting dupes in this ongoing saga of Microsoft
> dominance. Nothing -- I repeat nothing -- but a proprietary software
> company will ever threaten Microsoft's iron hand in the marketplace.

Nothing will threaten MS's dominance in the corporate desktop
marketplace, just like nothing could threaten IBM's in the mainframe
market.  Who, exactly, needs a mainframe?  Who, in a few years, will need
a desktop PC?

> Anti-capitalist open source is a monopolist's software dream.

That might well be the case.  Not sure who's doing the dreaming though.
I'm not aware of any existing "anti-capitalist open source".

> Dedicate even half of Linux's developer resources to hardware
> drivers for FreeBSD ....

Rjack, why do you think developers prefer writing for Linux than
\(Free\|Open\|Net\)BSD?

> .... and then sit back and watch some upstart proprietary company give
> Microsoft sufficient real competition to lower consumer prices.

That company is Google.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).