NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 15 December 2009 Perl Seminar NYC: Pratik Dave on Map

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 15 December 2009 Perl Seminar NYC: Pratik Dave on Map/Reduce and Eating and Drinking
Date: 15 Dec 2009 14:22:43 -0500

  what="official perlsemny announcement"
  edits="">

 To: ny@lists.pm.org
 From: James E Keenan <jkeen@verizon.net>
 Subject: perlsemny + more
 Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:36:11 -0500

 Rumor has it that if we finish up early enough tomorrow night, we
 will adjourn to a yet-to-be-disclosed location for Yuletide Cheer.

 Perl Seminar New York
 Tuesday Dec 15 2009
 6:15 - 8:15 pm
 NYPC User Group
 481 8th Ave (Ramada New Yorker Hotel, West 34 St)
 Suite 550

 Featured Presentation:  Pratik Dave:  "Map/Reduce"

 On December 15 we look forward to Pratik Dave's first presentation at
 Perl Seminar NY.  Pratik has provided this description of his talk:

 "Map/Reduce is a simple technique for performing calculations on
 arbitrarily sized (read: enormous) data-sets by applying the
 functional programming 'map' and 'reduce' primitives in parallel
 across  smaller and smaller subsets of the data. Created based on the
 functionality discussed in a seminal paper on the topic published by
 Google engineers (http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html),
 an open source project named Apache Hadoop (http://hadoop.apache.org/
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadoop) provides
 the scaffolding to perform map-reduce calculations on your commodity
 hardware."

 "In this talk I'll introduce the map/reduce concept, work
 through its application to algorithms you probably perform daily, and
 demonstrate how to write a simple (yet powerful) Hadoop job using
 Perl."