Re: The GFDL is _not_ a public license, says dak

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The GFDL is _not_ a public license, says dak
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 16:14:38 +0100

RJack <user@example.net> writes:

> The Copyright Act, 17 USC 106, states that "Subject to sections 107
> through 122, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive
> rights to do and to authorize any of the following:...".
>

> Unfortunately, Free Softies are so wacked-out on Moglen's "Freedom"
> Kool-Aid that they are incapable of rational understanding of the
> words "exclusive" and "author" as used in the Copyright Act.

It means that the author has the exclusive right to grant others the
freedom to sublicense and modify something exactly like they were
licensed it.

It is the author's exclusive right to pick his own software's terms of
modification and redistribution, including the GPL.  If he does pick the
GPL, it does not make a difference to the rights of the recipient
whether he or somebody else is distributing and modifying the software
and passing modified versions on.

That's what the "public" in "public license" means.

> If "authorizing" is reserved as "exclusive" for the "author" of a work
> how does a "non-owner" do any authorizing?

By being licensed for such authorization.  He does not have a _choice_
of what terms he can attach to such an authorization, unless the
original author himself.  Only the original author can change license
terms at will.  But as long as he stays with the GPL, upstream and
downstream can authorize and do the same changes.

> Mentioning little contradictions in logic such as this simply causes
> Free Softies eyes to glaze over and total deafness sets in.

Yes, total deafness sets in because you ignore all explanations of what
you pretend not to understand.  It is _you_ who feigns deafness.

> Pity the poor Free Softies.

My pity is better spent on bileful old men like you who don't have
anything constructive to offer to the world.

--
David Kastrup