Re: Bye - Bye , open source derivative works litigation

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Bye - Bye , open source derivative works litigation
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:03:20 -0500

On 2/11/2010 11:26 AM, RJack wrote:
1) 2007-01-15 - ABA IP Journal Publishes Article by Skye Group Managing
Director: "The American Bar Association's Intellectual Property
Newsletter has published an article by Managing Director Doug Hass
entitled "The Myth of Copyleft Protection: Reconciling the GPL and Linux
with the Copyright Act. Read the article starting on page 22 in the Fall
2006 issue."

<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Delivery.cfm/SSRN_ID1261628_code372661.pdf?abstractid=1261628&mirid=1>
    "The FSF and the Linux community should embrace closed source code"

So we see where this author is coming from. Thanks, but no thanks.

The rest of this paper is useless. It spends a bunch of time pointing
out that the issue of whether separately loadable Linux kernel modules
fall under the GPL could be complicated, but it's most likely that
they don't. Um, OK. I think we all already know that. It's only the
FSF that thinks otherwise, with their expansive and wrong view of what
a derivative work is.