Re: Bye - Bye , open source derivative works litigation

From: RJack
Subject: Re: Bye - Bye , open source derivative works litigation
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 13:01:39 -0500

Hyman Rosen wrote:
On 2/11/2010 11:26 AM, RJack wrote:
1) 2007-01-15 - ABA IP Journal Publishes Article by Skye Group
Managing Director: "The American Bar Association's Intellectual
Property Newsletter has published an article by Managing Director
Doug Hass entitled "The Myth of Copyleft Protection: Reconciling
the GPL and Linux with the Copyright Act. Read the article starting
on page 22 in the Fall 2006 issue."

<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Delivery.cfm/SSRN_ID1261628_code372661.pdf?abstractid=1261628&mirid=1>

"The FSF and the Linux community should embrace closed source code"

So we see where this author is coming from. Thanks, but no thanks.

The rest of this paper is useless. It spends a bunch of time pointing
 out that the issue of whether separately loadable Linux kernel
modules fall under the GPL could be complicated, but it's most likely
that they don't. Um, OK. I think we all already know that. It's only
the FSF that thinks otherwise, with their expansive and wrong view of
what a derivative work is.

Your link addresses EC competition law. I have no working knowledge of
European law concerning these matters.

"The Captain's scared them out of the water!"
http://www.fini.tv/blog/finishing_line_files/a44f9390355368f87dc47b7ec094f93e-36.php

ROFL. ROFL. ROFL.

Sincerely,
RJack :)