NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 17 February 2010 NYLUG: Luke Kanies on The Future o

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 17 February 2010 NYLUG: Luke Kanies on The Future of Puppet
Date: 16 Feb 2010 02:36:36 -0500

  what="official NYLUG announcement"
  edits="">

 From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:48:30 -0500 (EST)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] NYLUG Presents: 2/17 @ 6:30PM Luke Kanies on The
Future of Puppet - What a Model-Driven Infrastructure Means to You

 Wednesday, February 17, 2010
 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
 IBM
 590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
 corner of 57th Street

 *** RSVP Closes at 4:30 PM the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                                  Luke Kanies
                                    - on -
                         The Future of Puppet - What a
                    Model-Driven Infrastructure Means to You

 Please join us on February 17th, 2010 for a special guest, Luke Kaines, the
 founder of the Puppet Project.

 This talk will have a general focus on the future of Puppet, and will
 particularly delve into how Puppet's model of the world will be used to
 drive new tools and capabilities.  While Puppet is obviously about
 configuring your infrastructure, the fact that it uses declarative models
 rather than merely relying on chunks of opaque code is critical to both how
 we got here and where we go in the future.

 This year will be the year of data for Puppet.  For example, its most
 recent major release provided the means to address a host's compiled
 configuration as a separate, manageable entity, meaning it can be stored,
 controlled, and validated at will.  The next full release will have
 granular event reporting, with correspondingly greater ability to correlate
 configurations to the resulting changes.

 Each successive release thereafter will further expose the data that lies
 at the heart of a Puppet infrastructure.  This talk will discuss some of
 the kinds of data we'll be bringing to the forefront of your Puppet
 infrastructure, along with how you can take advantage of it and how it will
 change your view of the world.

 More Information:

   * Puppet
     http://reductivelabs.com/products/puppet/

   * Reductive Labs
     http://github.com/reductivelabs

   * Puppet Wiki
     http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki

   * Puppet Users Discussion
     http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users

   * Puppet Developers Discussion
     http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-dev

   * Puppet NYC User Group
     http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-nyc

 About Luke Kanies:
 Luke is the founder and CEO of Reductive Labs and the founder of the Puppet
 project.  Previously, he was a consultant, open source contributor, and
 article author.  He has focused on tool development since 2001, developing
 and publishing multiple simple sysadmin tools and contributing to
 established products like Cfengine.  He has presented on Puppet and other
 tools around the world, including at OSCON, LISA, Linux.Conf.au, and
 FOSS.in.

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
   12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
   the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

 Map:
   http://nylug.org/mapofibm

 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch:
   After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
   for drinks and pub food.  This month we'll be over at TGI Friday's
   (677 Lexington and 56th Street, Second floor, Northeast corner),
   but we are also evaluating other options for the future and welcome
   your suggestions.

   http://nylug.org/tgifridays

 Python Workshops/Hacking Society:
   This is a group of people that wants to learn about Python and other
   things, and hack on code.  Sometimes they go out to eat afterward.

   The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
   Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
   Next meetings are February 16, and March 9.
   See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/pythoncalendar

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.