Re: Versa trashes the GPL as well

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Versa trashes the GPL as well
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:07:39 -0000

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> On 3/9/2010 9:11 AM, RJack wrote:
> > Uhhh. What's "abnormal" copyright infringement?
>
> When there are other defenses possible under federal law,
> such as fair use or time shifting or reverse engineering.
> Normal copyright infringement is simply unauthorized
> copying and distribution with nothing else involved.
>
> > Uhhh. Do you mean the preempted "covenants" that you incorrectly
> > refer to as "conditons"? Preempted is preempted. What do conditions
> > have to do with anything?
>
> GPL cases involve simple copyright infringement caused
> by copying and distributing without adhering to the
> conditions of the license. There is no preemption
> involved, because preemption merely states that all
> copyright comes from federal law, and it is federal
> law which disallows copying and distribution without
> permission. The conditions of the GPL are conditions,
> just as the conditions of the Artistic License are
> conditions:
> <http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/opinions/08-1001.pdf>
>      The Artistic License states on its face that the
>      document creates conditions: "The intent of this
>      document is to state the _conditions_ under which
>      a Package may be copied." (Emphasis added.) The

Q: If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? Five?

Judge HOCHBERG: Of course five.

Abraham Lincoln: No, calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg!

P.S. "I'm insufficiently motivated to go set up a GNU/Linux system
so that I can do the builds."

Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> The Silliest GPL 'Advocate'

P.P.S. "Of course correlation implies causation! Without this
fundamental principle, no science would ever make any progress."

Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> The Silliest GPL 'Advocate'

--
http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)