Re: SFLC stipulated dismissal of Comtrend without any settlement

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: SFLC stipulated dismissal of Comtrend without any settlement
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:14:29 -0000

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> That sort of handwaving waffle got Wallace thrown out of court for
>> failure to state a claim.
>
> Wallace's case was dismissed because Chief Judge Eaterbrook is of
> opinion that
>
> *** FOSS is junk ***
>
> "People willingly pay for quality software even when they can get
> free (but imperfect) substitutes. Open Office is a free, open-source
> suite of word processor, spreadsheet and  presentation software, but
> the proprietary Microsoft Office has many more users. Gimp is a free,
> open-source image editor, but the proprietary Adobe Photoshop enjoys
> the lion's share of the market."

With that kind of argument, water is junk because people willingly pay
for wine.

> and
>
> *** FOSS is doomed ***
>
> "The number of proprietary operating systems is growing, not shrinking,
> so competition in this market continues quite apart from the fact that
> the GPL ensures the future availability of Linux and other Unix
> offshoots."

Actually, the number of free operating systems is _exploding_.  Which
some people try to take as a sign that *** FOSS is doomed *** as well.
The truth is that the number of any kind of system is growing because we
have a growing market.

But of course, our cute little troll Terekhov tries to figure out some
consolation prize from a verdict which he, at the same time, decries as
having to be the result of drunkenness.

--
David Kastrup