Re: Justice draws nigh

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Justice draws nigh
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:55:01 -0000

RJack <user@example.net> writes:

> Hyman Rosen wrote:
>> On 5/12/2010 10:49 AM, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>>> "Modified: 25.01.2010 12:19:51"
>
>>> (I gather that "please call the Insignia support line at
>>> 1-877-467-4289" is a sign of perfect compliance to the GPL
>>

>> As long as making such a call leads to obtaining the code, then yes,
>> of course.
>
> Talk about mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooving the goalposts.
>
> The SFLC starts out suing for damages, injunctions etc. and now
> it's down to settling for listing a fucking telephone number.

The goal from the getgo was compliance with the terms of the GPL.
Damages are consequences to non-compliance, injunctions (stopping
distribution) similarly.

If there are no consequences for non-compliance, you can't elicit
compliance.  The state at the time of the complaint was non-compliance,
and that state is what the court can be asked to act on.

In short: the goalposts did not move at all, but to score, you have to
get the ball into court in the first place if it is not already sitting
in the goal.

> I think the appropriate number is 1-800-KISS-MY-ASS.

For you it is all the same as you choose to make an ass out of yourself.

--
David Kastrup