Re: Moglen's post-Bilski trash-talk

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Moglen's post-Bilski trash-talk
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:56:59 -0000

> http://www.law.com/jsp/cc/PubArticleCC.jsp?id=1202463646968&Patent_Litigation_Weekly_More_About_Bilski
>
> Right now, we have a patent system that's extensively used only by two
> industries: information technology and pharmaceuticals. Anybody else,
> the patent system doesn't help them that much. Most of the world's
> manufacturers now use trade secret law.  [And] the two industries that
> use patent law heavily use it for reasons irrelevant to its formation. "
>
> LMAO!
>
> Yeah, right... to wit:
>
> http://green.autoblog.com/2009/06/03/ford-fusion-hybrid-the-most-patented-car-in-history/
>
> "Ford Fusion hybrid, the most patented car in history

[...]

> · The 2010 Fusion and Fusion Hybrid – America's most fuel efficient
> mid-size sedan – sets new standard for technology innovation with 119
> U.S. patents and patent applications

119, for a car with novel technology.  Now let's take a look at what a
specialized application standard is comprised of.

<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2#Patent_holders>

And that's peanuts compared to general computing company's patent
pools.  Heck, even small patent trolls have more.

--
David Kastrup