Re: Psystar's legal reply brief in response to Apple

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Psystar's legal reply brief in response to Apple
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:58:44 -0000

David Kastrup wrote:
[...]
> Whatever.  In a similar vein, merely acquiring a copy of GPLed software
> does not put you into any contractual relationship.

Agreed.

The anti-GPL machine works like this:

(Attribution: Isaac)

-----
Further, my understanding is that Alexander was proposing lawfully
acquiring
and distributing copies and not making new copies.  If the law requires
that
a backup or adapted copy be distributed with the originals, Alexander
would
do that and then acquire, at no expense, a new copy.  Rinse lather
repeat.

You ask how a copy would be acquired without accepting the GPL.

I'm not aware of an expectation or requirement to accept the GPL before
downloading the software.  Free software is often made available for
downloading without any notice obtained before, during or after the
download
that the copies obtained must be deleted if the GPL is not accepted.

Anyone can obtain GPLd software, and provided only that they include
source
code, operate a free or paid distribution ftp site in which they allow
GPLd software to be downloaded without restriction.

Isaac
-----

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)