Re: The GPL and Patents: ROFL

From: RJack
Subject: Re: The GPL and Patents: ROFL
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:00:07 -0000

On 8/19/2010 3:27 PM, Hyman Rosen wrote:
On 8/19/2010 3:07 PM, RJack wrote:
"17 USC ยง 102. Subject matter of copyright: In general.

(b) In no case does copyright protection for an original work of
authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method
of operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the
form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied
in such work."

"In no case does copyright protection... extend to... *regardless
of the form* in which it is described... or embodied in such
work."

Notice how this anti-GPL crank elides the idea, procedure, etc.
phrase with an ellipsis. Of course, without that elision, the
copyright law says that protection extends to the work but not the
idea, exactly the way it has always been construed. That's what the
court says in Atari v. Nintendo
<http://digital-law-online.info/cases/24PQ2D1015.htm> and it's what
the court says in Apple v. Franklin
<<http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=10063204125696546680>.

Your own interpretation shoots down your reply to the original claim I
made in this thread. I claimed that the GPL could not affect ideas
covered by patent rights. So... have it your way! You claim, "... the
copyright law says that protection extends to the work but not the idea,
exactly the way it has always been construed."

Ergo, the GPL as a copyright license cannot extend to an idea covered by
a patent. Thank you for affirming my original premise. I'll take a frank
admission that I'm right gracefully. Thank you.

Sincerely,
RJack :)