Re: Drunken Eben interviewed by Indiatimes

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Drunken Eben interviewed by Indiatimes
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:01:02 -0000

Clogwog wrote:

> "Alexander Terekhov" <terekhov@web.de> schreef in bericht
> 4C863032.3D8D9326@web.de">news:4C863032.3D8D9326@web.de...
> > He is on tour in Inida, opening the indian SFLC branch...
> >
> > http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/hardware/Blackberry-standoff-is-about-sovereignty-Moglen/articleshow/6510541.cms
>
> Is this the same "Moglen" who gets paid thrice from donations?

It's the same clown how was on tour in India back in 2007.

http://news.webindia123.com/news/ar_showdetails.asp?id=706060446&cat=&n_date=20070606

"Free Software's Moglen canvasses his sharing message in India

New Delhi | June 06, 2007 5:05:18 PM IST

Eben Moglen, an architect of the GNU General Public License and one of
the greatest legal minds in the world of free software, is currently
touring India on a mission to promote his message: "anything that is
worth copying is worth sharing".

Hacker-turned-law-professor Moglen has argued that free software is a
fundamental requirement for a free society over-dependent on technical
devices.

Moglen, professor of law and legal history at Columbia University,
served pro bono as general counsel for the Free Software Foundation. He
is also the chairman of Software Freedom Law Center.

New Delhi-based lawyer Mishi Choudhary has been working to build an
India branch of the Software Freedom Law Center.

Called the 'legal guardian of the Free Software movement', Moglen now
oversees the crafting of the crucial General Public License, version 3.

Free software is at the other extreme away from proprietorial software.
Legal protection for creating and sharing free software is seen as
having become more important at times when dominant market player
Microsoft has alleged patent violations by the free software camp.

The GNU General Public License (GNU GPL, or GPL) is a widely used free
software license, originally written by Richard Stallman for the GNU
project. Moglen is the legal brain behind strengthening the GPL and
making sure it works.

GPL allows users of a free software computer programme the rights for it
to be used, studied and modified without restriction, and be copied and
redistributed in a way that ensure that further recipients also have
these freedoms.

Version 3 of the GPL (GPLv3) is being written by Richard Stallman, with
legal counsel from Eben Moglen and his Software Freedom Law Center.
Moglen was in India last year too, when he revved up activities for a
Software Freedom Law Centre in New Delhi.

In India this time, Moglen spends two weeks till mid-June, meeting
policy makers, lawyers and software professionals.

India is itself seen as a fast-rising battleground, where the growing
army of software programmers will crucially help decide the software
future of the planet, whether it turns proprietorial or "free".

Others like free software movement founder Stallman and Microsoft
founder Bill Gates have also been making repeated trips to India in
recent years.

Free software enthusiasts term proprietorial software "unfree" and the
political influence of this technology movement is visible from the logo
of the Free Software Foundation-India, which has a computer-age CD
shaped in the form of a spinning-wheel charkha (the symbol of Indian
independence) and a motto which says "weave your own code".

Moglen holds a discussion on 'The Death of Proprietary Culture' at
Thiruvananthapuram (June 6) and holds an address again on software
patents in New Delhi (June 9).

On June 11, he moves to Hyderabad, to address the legal fraternity at
the Andhra Pradesh High Court and give a talk at the NALSAR University
of Law.

"One of the purposes of his visit is setting up (of the Software Freedom
Law Centre in New Delhi)," said Free Software Foundation-India
campaigner Arun M.

In Thiruvananthapuram there will also be a symposium on June 6 on
"Patents, Copyrights and Knowledge Commons" organised by Kerala State
Planning Board, Kerala State IT Mission and Free Software Foundation of
India, organisers of the event announced.

While speaking in New Delhi, during his August 2006 visit, Moglen had
remarked: "Anything that is worth copying is worth sharing." He also
argued: "The more we give away, the richer we become."

He argues that the idea of proprietary software is as ludicrous as
having "proprietary mathematics" or "proprietary geometry". This would
convert the subjects from "something you can learn" into "something you
must buy".

Moglen has criticised what he calls the "reification of selfishness". He
has said: "A world full of computers which you can't understand, can't
fix and can't use (because it is controlled by inaccessible proprietary
software) is a world controlled by machines."

He also disapproves of trends that result in "excluding people from
knowledge", and has called for a "sensible respect for both the creators
and users" of the software code. (IANS) "

http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
too, whereas GNU cannot.)